The COOLPIX S9400s slimline body conceals a wealth of cutting-edge technology that sets this 18-megapixel camera apart.
An 18x NIKKOR optical super-zoom lens and 18-megapixel backlit CMOS sensor enable you to capture distant action and candid close-ups with ease. Optical lens-shift vibration reduction produces sharp results and steady images on the large OLED screen, making it easy to frame your shots.
Record Full HD movies at the touch of a button and even combine separate scenes as a single, seamless movie.
The COOLPIX S9400 - Compact style with great performance and super zoom.
- Super zoom: the 18x NIKKOR wide-angle optical zoom lens (25-450 mm) with ED glass will make you a sharp shooter from virtually any distance.
- Back-illuminated 18 MP CMOS sensor: with each pixel receiving more light, this highly sensitive image sensor works with the EXPEED C2 processor to deliver clear shots in any light.
- 7.5-cm (3.0-in.) 614k-dot OLED screen: with superior brightness and impressive colour rendering, thanks to OLED technology, this large screen offers excellent visibility and sharp contrast in all light conditions, including direct sunlight.
- Lens-shift VR (vibration reduction): capture steady photos and movies thanks to Nikons automatic vibration reduction technology, which counters the effects of camera shake in real time.
- Full HD (1080p) movie recording: easily record life in motion and in stereo sound. A dedicated video-record button makes it easy to begin filming.
- Advanced movie functions: if you pause and then continue filming, the camera will create a single movie file for smooth playback. The optical zoom with autofocus can be used when filming and you can record in iFrame format. Connect the camera directly to an HDTV using the built-in HDMI connector.
- Auto HDR mode: capture images with impressive tonal detail in any situation when you shoot in HDR mode. The camera combines two shots taken at different exposures during a single shutter release to create an image with wide dynamic range and rich colour gradation.
- Smart portrait system: snap perfect portraits every time. Smile timer takes the shot when your subject smiles, Blink proof alerts you when someones eyes were closed, and Glamour retouch options help you make portraits look more flattering.
- Easy Panorama 360°/180°: pan vertically or horizontally to create dynamic panoramas.
- 3D shooting mode: create 3D images that can be displayed on 3D-capable TVs and computers.
- Retouch menu: enhance your photos on the spot with a wide range of filter effects, including quick effect mode in playback. Examples include Selective Colour, which converts your image to monochrome and then adds a splash of colour to the area of your choice, while Cross Screen adds a starry effect to bright objects.
- High-speed continuous shooting: capture sharp shots of the action with ease. The camera can shoot up to 5 frames at a fast 7.5 fps.
- Mode dial: access the most important shooting modes quickly and easily via the conveniently placed mode dial.
- 19 scene modes: scene modes automatically optimize the camera settings for popular photographic styles, effects and locations. Achieve great shots just by selecting the mode that matches your situation.
- Fast and accurate AF: when you want to capture complex subjects, you can shoot in manual focus with a 99-point autofocus system for extra-sharp results.
- Subject Tracking AF: capture sharp shots of subjects on the move. Subject Tracking AF keeps the camera focused on a selected subject even if it refuses to stay still.
- Wireless transfer: compatible with Eye-Fi X2 (or later) cards. Transmit your digital photos (in JPEG format) directly to your smart device or computer, and then go online to take advantage of Nikons photo sharing service, my Picturetown.
- Slimline body: measuring just 30.7 mm at its widest and 23 mm at its thinnest, the COOLPIX S9400 proves its possible to be packed with features and slim all at once.
- EXPEED C2: Nikons fast and powerful image processing system provides high-speed operation, enhanced movie recording, high-sensitivity performance and maximum image quality.
Number of effective pixels: 18.1 million
Image sensor: 1/2.3-in. type CMOS; approx. 18.91 million total pixels
Lens: NIKKOR lens with 18x optical zoom
Focal length: 4.5-81.0 mm (angle of view equivalent to that of 25-450 mm lens in 35mm (135) format)
Lens construction: 12 elements in 10 groups (1 ED lens element)
Digital zoom magnification: Up to 4x (angle of view equivalent to that of approx. 1800 mm lens in 35mm (135) format)
Vibration reduction: Combination of lens shift and electronic VR (still pictures); Lens shift (movies)
Motion blur reduction: Motion detection (still pictures)
Autofocus (AF): Contrast-detect AF
Focus range: (W): Approx. 50 cm (1 ft 8 in.) to infinity, (T): Approx. 1.5 m (5 ft) to infinity;
Focus-area selection: Face priority, center, manual with 99 focus areas, subject tracking, target finding AF
Monitor: 7.5 cm (3-in.), approx. 614k-dot, wide viewing angle OLED monitor with anti-reflection coating and 5-level brightness adjustment
Frame coverage (shooting mode): Approx. 98% horizontal and 98% vertical (compared to actual picture)
Frame coverage (playback mode): Approx. 100% horizontal and 100% vertical (compared to actual picture)
Storage media: Internal memory (approx. 65 MB); SD/SDHC/SDXC memory card
File system: DCF, Exif 2.3, DPOF, and MPF compliant
File formats: Still pictures: JPEG; 3D images: MPO; Sound files (voice memo): WAV; Movies: MOV (Video: H.264/MPEG-4 AVC, Audio: AAC stereo)
Image size (pixels): 18M (High) (4896 x 3672(fine)); 18M (4896 x 3672); 8M (3264 x 2448); 4M (2272 x 1704); 2M (1600 x 1200); VGA (640 x 480); 16:9 13M (4864 x 2736)
Shooting Modes: Auto, Scene auto selector, Scene (Portrait, Landscape, Sports, Party/indoor, Beach, Snow, Sunset, Dusk/dawn, Close-up, Food, Museum, Fireworks show, Black and white copy, Easy panorama, Pet portrait, 3D photography), Night landscape, Night portrait, Backlighting, Special effects, Smart portrait
Continuous Shooting: Single (default setting), Continuous H (up to 5 pictures are continuously shot at a rate of about 7.5 frames per second), Continuous L (about 31 pictures are continuously shot at a rate of about 1.9 fps), Pre-shooting cache (frame rate: up to 12 fps / number of frames: up to 25 frames), Continuous H:120 fps (50 frames are captured at a speed of about 1/120 seconds or faster), Continuous H:60 fps (25 frames are captured at a speed of about 1/60 seconds or faster), BSS (Best Shot Selector), Multi-shot 16
Movie: 1080(fine)/30p (default setting): 1920 x 1080/16:9/approx. 30 fps, 1080/30p: 1920 x 1080/16:9/approx. 30 fps, 720/30p: 1280 x 720/16:9/approx. 30 fps, iFrame 540/30p: 960 x 540/16:9/approx. 30 fps, 480/30p: 640 x 480/4:3/approx. 30 fps, HS 240/8x: 320 x 240/4:3, HS 480/4x: 640 x 480/4:3, HS 720/2x: 1280 x 720/16:9, HS 1080/0.5x: 1920 x 1080/16:9
ISO sensitivity (Standard output sensitivity): ISO 125-1600; ISO 3200 (available when using Auto mode)
Exposure metering mode: Matrix, center-weighted, spot (when digital zoom is 2x or higher)
Exposure control: Programmed auto exposure and exposure compensation (-2.0 - 2.0 EV in steps of 1/3 EV)
Shutter: Mechanical and CMOS electronic shutter
Shutter speed: 1/1500 - 1 s; 1/4000 - 1/120 s (Continuous H: 120 fps); 1/4000 - 1/60 s (Continuous H: 60 fps); 4 s (Fireworks show scene mode)
Aperture: Electronically-controlled ND filter (-2 AV) selection mode
Aperture range: 2 steps (f/3.4, f/6.8 (W))
Self-timer: Durations of 2 or 10 seconds can be selected
Flash range (approx.) (ISO sensitivity: Auto): (W): 0.5 - 6.0 m (1 ft 8 in. - 19 ft); (T): 1.5 - 3.5 m (5 - 11 ft)
Flash control: TTL auto flash with monitor pre-flashes
Interface: Hi-Speed USB
Data Transfer Protocol: MTP, PTP
Video output: Can be selected from NTSC and PAL
HDMI output: Can be selected from Auto, 480p, 720p, and 1080i
I/O terminal: Audio/video output; digital I/O (USB); HDMI micro connector (Type D) (HDMI output)
Supported languages: Arabic, Bengali, Chinese (Simplified and Traditional), Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Marathi, Norwegian, Persian, Polish, Portuguese (European and Brazilian), Romanian, Russian, Spanish, Swedish, Tamil, Telugu, Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
Power sources: One Rechargeable Li-ion Battery EN-EL12 (included); AC Adapter EH-62F (available separately)
Charging time: Approx. 3 h and 50 min (when using Charging AC Adapter EH-70P and when no charge remains)
Battery life *: Still pictures: Approx. 230 shots when using EN-EL12; Movie recording (actual battery life for recording) **: Approx. 50 min when using EN-EL12
Tripod socket: 1/4 (ISO 1222)
Dimensions (W x H x D): Approx. 110.1 x 60.3 x 30.7 mm (4.4 x 2.4 x 1.3 in.) (excluding projections)
Weight: Approx. 200 g (7.1 oz) (including battery and SD memory card)
Temperature: 0°C - 40°C (32°F - 104°F)
Humidity: 85% or less (no condensation)
Supplied accessories: Camera Strap, Rechargeable Li-ion Battery EN-EL12 (with terminal cover), Audio/video cable EG-CP16, Charging AC Adapter EH-70P, USB Cable UC-E6, ViewNX 2 CD, Reference Manual CD